Throughout the 20th century, Cord Meyer Development Company played a significant role in Queens development. The company's developments include Forest and Arbor Close, two contiguous blocks of Tudor Style attached single family residences completed in 1926-1927, and the landmark Lexington and Livingston Apartments. All of these projects were awarded a Certificate of Excellence in Design by the Queens Chamber of Commerce.
More recent developments include the Seminole and Balfour Apartments built in 1951 and 1957 respectively, the Continental and Forester Apartments erected in 1962 and 1965, and the Forest Hills Apartments completed in 1967. In the 1980s, the Company was well positioned to take advantage of the shift in the real estate market toward individual apartment ownership, and began the successful conversion of its apartment buildings into "co-ops".
The company's current projects include the renovation and renewal of several retail and mixed-use properties. Through these residential buildings and others, Cord Meyer Development Company contributes to the Greater New York Metropolitan Area as a stabilizing force in times of rapid change through decade upon decade of growth and prosperity.
When The "City of the Future" was built at the 1939 World's Fair in New York, the Cord Meyer Company had already been serving the people of Queens for over forty years, and the Meyer family had been an integral part of the community life for almost a century. By the early 1890's, Cord Meyer, Jr. had recognized that Queens would not remain a rural outpost or the limited preserve of a few wealthy landholders. He envisioned a vital, growing neighborhood with homes, schools, shops, and services. As a result, he purchased a farm in Newtown from Samuel Lord, co-founder of Lord & Taylor, and renamed the area Elmhurst. He laid out subdivisions and streets, installed sewers, and established trolley connections. The area prospered and inspired similar growth in the adjoining areas.
The family real estate firm was originally structured as a partnership with Cord's brothers, Christian and John, holding equal shares. In 1899, the partnership became a corporation: The Cord Meyer Company. As the Twentieth Century began, he pursued his interest in real estate. He acquired a substantial parcel of land in the Hopedale section of Whitepot, designed street layouts, introduced utilities, and built single family homes. Schools and shopkeepers soon followed, and as time unfolded, Cord named his town "Forest Hills." The creation of Forest Hills marked the advent of Cord Meyer Development Company, which was incorporated in December of 1904 with Cord Meyer, Jr. as its first president.